Microsoft Update KB3177723 and KB3179575 Breaks Everything!

Introduction

Hopefully I can get this news to you guys before you run into a situation I had. To make a very very very long story short I spent 14 hours on the phone with Microsoft over 2 updates for 2 clients.

Short version: Microsoft Update KB3177723 and KB3179575 breaks everything

KB3177723 – Removing Egypt’s Time Zone

KB3179575 – August Update Roll up

When I started down this rabbit hole with these 2 updates. I got the same ticket from 2 clients. Both clients have Exchange 2013 Standard installed on Server 2012 and they both had the same issue. Outlook wouldn’t connect. OWA worked and ActiveSync/E-mail on Cell phones worked if it was previously configured. I reviewed the updates and when look at the release notes of both of them. Unfortunately, neither one state they updated anything to deal with authentication directly… So after hours of troubleshooting, I gave up and called Microsoft and some more time later uninstalling unrelated updates fixed the problem…. At least I got my cases refunded from Microsoft because the root of the problem was their fault.

Symptoms

If you’re having any weird authentication issues with Exchange, Multi Site Active Directory Authentication, Scan to Folder, and/or Azure AD Connect. Removing these 2 updates from the effected server(s) AND domain controllers running Server 2012 / Server 2012 R2 will fix the problem.

The problems I’ve seen from these 2 updates

  • Outlook not able to connect to Exchange 2013 on Server 2012
  • Scan to Folder with AD authentication failing on Server 2012 file Server
  • Windows 7 client computers unable to authenticate to a Server 2012 Domain Controller
  • Azure AD Sync can’t authenticate to on-site domain controller on Server 2012 R2.

When I worked with Microsoft about Microsoft Update KB3177723 and KB3179575 breaking everything. They said it only effects Server 2012. But shortly there after, I saw authentication issues with AD Azure Connect/Dirsync on Server 2012 R2 and some of my co-workers have had some similar authentication issues on Server 2012 R2. Currently our first step when an authentication issue comes up is to double check the credentials and then check to see if those updates are installed and remove them.

Hopefully I can save you guys some time and frustration.